Sunday, May 10, 2009

Facebook

I went off facebook a few mos ago after feeling like it had been hijacked. We are living in a time when we are overwhelmed with information. For some reason we want people to know what we are doing and even thinking 24/7. I enjoyed facebook when I first started doing it but it got out of hand and became more of an irritation than a way to stay connected to family and friends.
I have to take full responsibility because I accepted every friend request. Some people I knew and considered friends, some I barely knew, some I used to know and some I didnt really know at all. I ended up with over 400 people on my friends list and as a result I was bombarded with too much information about people I didnt know, and people I thought I knew. I saw men who I know struggle with addictions openly posting inappropriate pictures that shocked me and caused me to struggle. I read status updates that go against every thing I believe in posted by needy people just looking to create disunity and looking for attention. I was tagged in photos from my past that I did not want to see and was not proud of. Re-connecting with old friends is fun...at first, but the truth is I have a rather dark past and there are some memory lanes I have no business walking down.
I think facebook is a great way to stay connected to friends and to share information but it can get out of hand when too many people from too many walks of life come together, that's just my own personal experience, observation and opinion.
I know I have offended people who I removed as friends. People take that stuff personally and I had to make a decision that that's just too bad. The truth is there were individuals who viciously lashed out at me for removing them from my friends list and exposed the fact that they are indeed not my friends.
I completely deleted everyone and everything on my account a few mos ago, and started again from scratch, it took me hours to un-tag myself from every photo, and to delete every post. The truth about facebook is you can never delete your account. You can only de-activate it. You can always log back on and everything is still there. When you try to de-activate your account it tries to talk you out of it. Bottom line.... it's impossible to make it completely go away. I don't think a lot of people realize this.
Be careful what you share and what you post and who you accept as friends. You absolutely can remove people as friends but don't expect some of them to understand or go away quietly.

1 comment:

  1. That is scary. Yeah, pictures -- once they are out on the Internet are THERE and could be anyone's possession. I have over 500 friends and it is crazy! A lot of the people I actually know, but still ... too much, like you said.

    I'm sorry the past tries to resurface, but God is your reputation, He is your Defender.

    God bless you Chris!

    ReplyDelete